Sunday, January 22, 2012

The Week Ahead

This will be a very busy week in our classroom. Along with all of our routine learning activities, we will have a unit test in Reading and a benchmark test in Math. We had our DIBELS test last week (look for more info about that in a later post) so assessments have been and will continue to be abundant in our classroom. I'm not a big fan of so many assessments, but they are required. One of my favorite analogies is Testing Students/Weighing Pigs. It goes like this: A farmer is raising a pig to take to the market. He weighs the pig quite often, but forgets to feed the pig daily. Should any of us be surprised that the pig gained very little weight and the market value wasn't much? I very often feel that too much emphasis and time is put on weighing our students rather than feeding them. Well, enough said about that, I will get off of my soap box now and get ready for a week with my kiddos. I know they have eaten up most of the "feed" I've dished out and their "weight" will be just fine!

No comments:

Post a Comment